Advanced Higher Mathematics
The Advanced Higher Course extends learners’ mathematical knowledge in algebra, geometry and calculus. It includes matrix algebra, complex numbers and vectors and formalises the concept of mathematical proof. Advanced Higher Mathematics emphasises the need for candidates to undertake extended thinking and decision making, to solve problems and integrate mathematical knowledge. The course offers candidates, in an interesting and enjoyable manner, an enhanced awareness of the range and power of mathematics. The Advanced Higher Mathematics Course is at SCQF level 7. The SQA link for AH Maths is http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/39094.html
If you are considering applying to The University of Cambridge to read Mathematics it is essential to study Mathematics at Advanced Higher level, please click University of Cambridge to read their guidance notes for Scottish Applicants.
The KEY to achieving a pass in Advanced Higher is to regularly work on the past paper questions below, checking your answers as you go. Always ask for help if you are unsure. Being organised is also hugely beneficial – print out the past paper questions & solutions and put them neatly into an A4 folder – try the questions out, check your answers and also put your neatly written out solutions in the folder – this folder will be the passport to your success in Advanced Higher Maths. The earlier you start this process the better – in other words, start now!!
It is essential that you purchase a good quality scientific calculator and become familiar with how to use its functions several months before the exam – Please bring your calculator to class every day.
Ordering up the Advanced Higher BrightRED Revision book will be an invaluable source of reference to aid your studies.
The course is made up of three units.
Mathematics 1 – Algebra, Differentiation, Integration, Properties of Functions, Systems of Linear Equations
Mathematics 2 – Further Differentiation, Further Integration, Complex Numbers, Sequences & Series, Elementary Number Theory & Methods of Proof
Mathematics 3 – Vectors, Matrix Algebra, Further Sequences & Series, Ordinary Differential Equations, Further Number Theory & Methods of Proof
SQA Advanced Higher Past Papers & Marking Instructions
- 2015 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2015
- 2014 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2014
- 2013 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2013
- 2012 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2012
- 2011 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2011
- 2010 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2010
- 2009 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2009
- 2008 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2008
- 2007 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2007
- 2006 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2006
- 2005 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2005
- 2004 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2004
- 2003 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2003
- 2002 SQA AH Paper mi_AH_Mathematics_all_2002
- QAHS AH Prelim 2014 -15 Units 1 & 2 – Solutions Included
- QAHS AH Prelim 2013 -14 Units 1 & 2 – Solutions Included
- QAHS AH Prelim Practice 1 – 2005/6 – Solutions Included
- QAHS AH Prelim Practice 2 – 2006/7 – Solutions Included
- QAHS AH Prelim Practice 3 – 2008/9 -Solutions Included
- QAHS AH Prelim Practice 4 – 2009/10 – Solutions Included
AH Mathematics Mini Prelim:
- QAHS AH 2014 -15 Units 1, 2 & 3 Mini-Prelim – Solutions Included
- QAHS AH 2013 -14 Units 1, 2 & 3 Mini Prelim – Solutions Included
- QAHS AH Mini Prelim Practice 2 -Solutions Included
- QAHS AH Mini Prelim Practice 3 -Solutions Included
- QAHS AH Mini Prelim Practice 4 – Solutions Included
- QAHS AH Mini Prelim Practice 5 – Solutions Included
AH Homework Exercises: – AH Homework Units 1, 2 and 3
AH Course Notes – Courtesy of SQA
- AH Unit 1 Support Material , AH Unit 1 Supplementary Notes
- AH Unit 2 Support Material, AH Unit 2 Supplementary Notes
- AH Unit 3 Support Material, AH Unit 3 Supplementary Notes
AH Course Notes – Courtesy of HSN – Advanced Higher Maths Course Notes
Homework Exercises – AH Homework Units 1, 2 and 3.